Get to Know One of Our Newest Team Members
We are pleased to welcome a new member to the GJM family. Enjoy this Q&A with our new risk consulting senior associate Jason Shepherd.
- Describe your role at GJM – I am joining Matt Hoverman’s GJM team as a senior associate to help grow our risk consulting practice for the firm. I intend on leveraging my perspective from the internal audit experience I possess to build relationships with our current and future clients. Additionally, I will be handling work ranging from SOX/ITGC’s, Data Privacy & Cyber, and other areas the team pursues in the risk consulting practice.
- When did you start employment/will you start at GJM? Monday, August 5, 2019.
- Why did you choose the accounting industry? Originally took accounting in high school because a favorite teacher of mine was the teaching the class. Ended up really doing well in it and knew I wanted to pursue a business career in college, so I continued the path of accounting at BGSU.
- What do you like best about accounting? The wide range of opportunities in different specializations. I originally had no intentions of being in the IT industry of accounting, but the amount of exposure and great working experiences I have been blessed to be apart of in such a short time has really been exciting.
- Are you from the Toledo area originally? If not, where are you from? I grew up in Clyde, OH and spent about 5 years or so in the Bowling Green area. Most of my family is from Bowling Green, Monclova, and Maumee.
- What do you like about living in Northwest Ohio? Being back near friends and family is the biggest win for me and my wife. I lived the city life being in Cleveland and metro Detroit for the past few years and there is nothing better than being able to take the back roads home and enjoying the openness.
- Anything you’d like to share about your past professional experience? I graduated the Master of Accountancy program at BGSU in 2017 and then started my career within the IT Internal Audit department of Sherwin Williams in downtown Cleveland. I was blessed to be exposed to many great opportunities within that network. At the time my girlfriend was with a big four accounting firm in Detroit, with a home we were renovating together, so I worked at finding a new opportunity in Michigan to relocate and propose. In the Spring of 2018, I accepted a similar role as IT Compliance Analyst within Masco Cabinetry in Ann Arbor, MI. I have spent the past year and a half revising their ITGC framework and Key Report testing, among other things. Fast forward to today, my wife and I got married this past May and are currently in the process of selling our home in Michigan and settling down in this area!
- Do you have any pets, hobbies, anything to share about family? My wife and I have two dogs and a cat, all of which are rescues. Hobbies include recreational sports, training with friends, binge watching Friends on repeat before they cancel on Netflix, video games, traveling, and just enjoying the married life!
- How do you like to spend your free time? I love to spend a lot of time with my dogs, Thor & Loki. When I’m not with them I love to do anything sports/fitness related. Also, I’m a big moviegoer!
- Favorite song or music? Anything 90s is a go to.
- Favorite book or movie? I’m a huge comic book/superhero geek, so I have to go with Man of Steel as one of my favorites. Another go to in the comedy genre has to be The Big Lebowski.
- Are you involved in any community organizations, do any volunteer work? Currently no, due to relocation. However, I intend on getting involved more with Habitat for Humanity and other volunteer work with our church this coming Fall.
- What is something people may be surprised to find out about you? Last May I competed in an MMA caged bout here in Maumee to cross it off my bucket list of things to achieve in life.
- Anything else you’d like to add? I’m looking forward to beginning my journey with the firm. I have always known GJM to have a great culture and a very team-oriented environment. It’s a very exciting time here with a lot of growth happening. I feel blessed to be part of such a great organization!
Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers cloud-based accounting and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory, healthcare management and outsourced accounting. The firm's professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities.
Business & Succession Planning
You've worked hard to build your business, but there is a critical piece you can't ignore. What happens once you retire? Thinking you have an idea of how it will go isn't the same as coming up with an official strategic plan for the future. Experts say most business owners know how important it is to have a succession plan, but few actually have one in place. Gilmore Jasion Mahler partner Deanna Hall says she is having this important discussion right now with many of her clients.
Deanna Hall is a tax partner with Gilmore Jasion Mahler who advises many businesses on tax strategy and other critical business decisions. Her area of specialty is manufacturing & distribution.
Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers cloud-based accounting and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory, healthcare management and outsourced accounting. The Firm's professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities.
Tim Schloz Joins GJM Team
Gilmore Jasion Mahler recently welcomed a new member to the team. Well, he’s not exactly new as you’ll see when you read this Q&A with GJM’s Tim Schloz.
What is your title? Risk Advisory Manager
Describe your role at GJM: My role consists of helping clients in the areas of information technology (IT), enterprise resource planning (ERP) system implementations, business process and IT process designs, and internal controls over financial reporting.
When did you start at GJM? March 25th was my first day back at GJM!
Anything you’d like to share about your past professional experience? I worked nearly four years at a large public accounting firm serving clients in the IT audit and business process control testing space. I spent a lot of my time serving publicly traded companies helping them understand and optimize their IT and business process risk profile through numerous audits, and post and pre-implementation assessments. In college I had three internships with GJM in the tax department.
Why did you choose the accounting industry? Accounting is the language of business. I learned and found it very important early on that in order for a business to be successful, one must understand the ins and outs of accounting. After taking a few classes in high school and college I found accounting to be a great fit along with information systems. The two majors really complemented each other as we are truly experiencing an innovative time in the accounting world!
Why did you specifically decide that GJM was a good fit for you? After completing my first internship with GJM, I really got a great sense of the culture, fun, and family atmosphere. I knew one way or another I would make my way back to GJM. With a growing risk advisory practice and a great team, I knew GJM was now the perfect fit for me.
Are you from the Toledo area originally? If not, where are you from? Born and raised in the Toledo area.
What do you like about living in Northwest Ohio? Northwest Ohio is really a unique place. Its big enough to suit all your needs and wants, but then small enough to get to know the community. There has been a revitalization in the area the past few years which is really exciting to watch and take part in. I also have several family members in the area and really find the area appealing and a great place to call home.
Where did you go to school? University of Toledo
Would you like to share any info on family, pets, etc.? I have two cats, Behr and Boston! They are brothers and really have two different, unique personalities.
How do you like to spend your free time? I enjoy the outdoors, whether its running, biking, playing golf, basketball, volleyball and occasionally swimming.
Are you involved in any community organizations, do any volunteer work? Is there a particular cause you feel strongly about? If so, why? I have recently been active with the United Way, Salvation Army, and Junior Achievement. I am looking to join a nonprofit board in the near future.
Favorite song or music? I am all over the place with music, but I enjoy a mix of current pop, country and techno.
Favorite book or movie? “How to Win Friends and Influence People” - Dale Carnegie
What is something people may be surprised to find out about you? Born and raised in Toledo, but a passionate Chicago Cubs fan. Go Cubs go!
Meet the Face of GJM’s Findlay Office
When new people come on board at Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD we ask them to fill out a fun questionnaire to help our people get to know them a bit better. We’ve started sharing those in Q&A format on our blog so that our clients and the rest of the GJM community can enjoy them as well. They’ve been well received so we expanded to feature other “GJMers” as well. Today is your chance to get to know Tracy Kennedy a bit better. You could say Tracy is the “face” of GJM’s Findlay office. That’s because she’s often the first person you meet when you walk in the door.
Describe your role at GJM: Director of First Impressions
When did you start employment/will you start at GJM? August of 1997
Why did you choose the accounting industry? It chose me!
What is the nature of your work at GJM and what do you like best about it? I started as the morning receptionist but in the past 21 years, my role has expanded. I have become support staff for the tax and healthcare departments. I have been the marketing assistant. I feed the staff and keep them happy during busy season. I help our elderly clients with their tax work, as it can all be very confusing. I have organized company events small and large.
GJM is quite involved in the community. Any particular programs or volunteer work you’ve enjoyed being involved in here? I run the Children’s Mentoring Connection Christmas party that GJM supports every year. I also run our Adopt a Family through Hope House every year at Christmas. The most work but the most rewarding has been being the point Findlay person for our Carnevale event to benefit Flag City Honor Flight the past two years. (The event returns in November of 2019 rebranded as "Wanderlust" so stay tuned for details!
Are you from the Northwest Ohio area originally? If not, where are you from? I am from Findlay.
What do you like about living in Northwest Ohio? Findlay is a very supportive community. It’s a big, little city. If there is a need in the community the city, Chamber of Commerce, or a local non-profit jumps to action to help resolve the issue. Local companies are always willing to donate their time and treasure to make life better here.
Where did you go to school? Findlay High School and Ohio University
Do you have any pets, hobbies, family? Husband Jim, daughter Lena (21), son Ian (19), one dog Oliver that was recently featured as the Ohio Society of CPAs dog of the week!
How do you like to spend your free time? Hanging out with friends & family, volunteering, weekend trips, ballroom dancing with my hubby!
Are you involved in any community organizations, do any volunteer work? I am one of the coordinators of the local community dinners. My church (First Presbyterian of Findlay) serves anyone that needs a meal the 2nd Sunday of every month. I plan, prep, serve and clean up with other church volunteers. I’m a trustee with the Findlay Elks and a co-chair of the entertainment committee. I am an alumnus of Hancock Leadership and serve on the board and two committees. I have volunteered (and “volun-told” my husband) for community events for years and/or attended a large number of them. United Way, Arts Partnership, Camp Fire USA, Hope House.
What is something people may be surprised to find out about you? I LOVE 80’s alternative music but not big hair!!
We’re welcoming a new team member. GJM is happy to welcome Joseph Osentoski (pictured to the left in the Michigan ball cap) to our audit team as a senior associate. Here’s a Q&A with Joe to help you get to know him.
Describe your role at GJM: I will be assisting the firm with financial statement audits within various commercial industries such as construction, manufacturing, and services as well as employee benefit plan audits. I have more than 4 years of financial statement and employee benefit audit experience.
When did you start working at GJM? November 26th.
Why did you choose the accounting industry? I chose public accounting for the challenge and fast-paced environment.
What do you like best about accounting? I liked the opportunities to work with a wide range of clients and businesses.
Are you from the Toledo area originally? If not, where are you from? I lived in Toledo for 10 years, growing up before moving across the border to Temperance, MI. I lived in Rochester, MI while attending Oakland University through undergraduate studies and graduate studies. I moved to Royal Oak, MI upon graduation and I have been living in Toledo for the past two years.
What do you like best about living in Northwest Ohio? Proximity to family.
Do you have any pets, hobbies, family? I’m from a family of 6 (fraternal twin brother and younger sisters), German Shepherd Pitbull mix named Grizz, I enjoy attending sporting events, playing golf, mixing it up with friends and family.
How do you like to spend your free time? Recently, I have been spending most of my free time renovating my home.
What is something people may be surprised to find out about you? I made my first hole in one this past year at the Junior Achievement Chipping in “Fore” Kids Golf Classic outing at my alma mater.
Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers cloud-based accounting services and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory, healthcare management and outsourced accounting. The Firm's professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities.