Get to Know One of Our Newest Team Members
We are pleased to welcome a new member to the GJM family. Enjoy this Q&A with our new risk consulting senior associate Jason Shepherd.
- Describe your role at GJM – I am joining Matt Hoverman’s GJM team as a senior associate to help grow our risk consulting practice for the firm. I intend on leveraging my perspective from the internal audit experience I possess to build relationships with our current and future clients. Additionally, I will be handling work ranging from SOX/ITGC’s, Data Privacy & Cyber, and other areas the team pursues in the risk consulting practice.
- When did you start employment/will you start at GJM? Monday, August 5, 2019.
- Why did you choose the accounting industry? Originally took accounting in high school because a favorite teacher of mine was the teaching the class. Ended up really doing well in it and knew I wanted to pursue a business career in college, so I continued the path of accounting at BGSU.
- What do you like best about accounting? The wide range of opportunities in different specializations. I originally had no intentions of being in the IT industry of accounting, but the amount of exposure and great working experiences I have been blessed to be apart of in such a short time has really been exciting.
- Are you from the Toledo area originally? If not, where are you from? I grew up in Clyde, OH and spent about 5 years or so in the Bowling Green area. Most of my family is from Bowling Green, Monclova, and Maumee.
- What do you like about living in Northwest Ohio? Being back near friends and family is the biggest win for me and my wife. I lived the city life being in Cleveland and metro Detroit for the past few years and there is nothing better than being able to take the back roads home and enjoying the openness.
- Anything you’d like to share about your past professional experience? I graduated the Master of Accountancy program at BGSU in 2017 and then started my career within the IT Internal Audit department of Sherwin Williams in downtown Cleveland. I was blessed to be exposed to many great opportunities within that network. At the time my girlfriend was with a big four accounting firm in Detroit, with a home we were renovating together, so I worked at finding a new opportunity in Michigan to relocate and propose. In the Spring of 2018, I accepted a similar role as IT Compliance Analyst within Masco Cabinetry in Ann Arbor, MI. I have spent the past year and a half revising their ITGC framework and Key Report testing, among other things. Fast forward to today, my wife and I got married this past May and are currently in the process of selling our home in Michigan and settling down in this area!
- Do you have any pets, hobbies, anything to share about family? My wife and I have two dogs and a cat, all of which are rescues. Hobbies include recreational sports, training with friends, binge watching Friends on repeat before they cancel on Netflix, video games, traveling, and just enjoying the married life!
- How do you like to spend your free time? I love to spend a lot of time with my dogs, Thor & Loki. When I’m not with them I love to do anything sports/fitness related. Also, I’m a big moviegoer!
- Favorite song or music? Anything 90s is a go to.
- Favorite book or movie? I’m a huge comic book/superhero geek, so I have to go with Man of Steel as one of my favorites. Another go to in the comedy genre has to be The Big Lebowski.
- Are you involved in any community organizations, do any volunteer work? Currently no, due to relocation. However, I intend on getting involved more with Habitat for Humanity and other volunteer work with our church this coming Fall.
- What is something people may be surprised to find out about you? Last May I competed in an MMA caged bout here in Maumee to cross it off my bucket list of things to achieve in life.
- Anything else you’d like to add? I’m looking forward to beginning my journey with the firm. I have always known GJM to have a great culture and a very team-oriented environment. It’s a very exciting time here with a lot of growth happening. I feel blessed to be part of such a great organization!
Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers cloud-based accounting and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory, healthcare management and outsourced accounting. The firm's professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities.