• GJM Blog

    Important Industry News & Helpful Tips

Tax Partner Steve Schult to Retire

After 21 years with Gilmore Jasion Mahler (GJM), Tax Partner Steve Schult has decided it is time to retire at the end of 2019. Steve works with many different clients, from individuals to family businesses to multi-national companies. Aside from his client service, he is a career advisor to young professionals within the firm and has taken an active role in GJM’s community service efforts. As he prepares to retire, he took some time to reflect on his years of client service and his time at GJM.

What do you like most about the work you do?

Steve: Getting to know and working with clients - and helping them not only save taxes, but also make decisions that are best for their businesses and their families. I have always said that taxes are a piece of your decision, not the whole decision. Being in public accounting my whole career, I also always appreciated the fact that I was working with the best and the brightest.  I learned something every day from not only my other partners, but everyone in the firm.

What made you decide to retire now?

Steve: My wife Diane and I both had some prior health issues.  We are fine now, but it makes you realize that life is short.  It’s time to slow down and smell the roses.  (For you Michigan fans, just FYI, you smell a lot of roses when you go out to the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl!)

What will you miss the most?

Steve: That’s easy – the daily interactions with clients and the people at GJM.  I am extremely lucky to have worked with so many smart, quality and fun people in my career.  I already know I will struggle with that.

What will you miss the least?

Steve: That’s easy too - Keeping track of time daily and the constant tax deadlines.

Favorite story about helping a client with a tax problem?

Steve: There are actually two stories.

Early in my career I had a 70-year-old client who owed a lot of money on his tax return because he had a large capital gain that was missed in his year-end planning.  I felt it would be best to meet with him to personally review the return.  I called and said I would like to meet him to review his return with him – and he said to meet him at his office on my way in to work the next morning.

After losing sleep that night thinking about the meeting, I met him at his office the next morning.  Upon entering his office, he said “Stevie, you are never going to believe what I got it the mail yesterday when I got home from work.  I applied for tickets to the Masters golf tournament 40 years ago and was informed that I am finally off the waiting list. I now have four tickets to the Masters for the rest of my life!”  Upon asking what I wanted to discuss with him I said, “You owe $25,000 on your tax return”.  He said “Stevie, no problem – I don’t care.  You must not have heard me.  I now have four tickets to the Masters for the rest of my life!”  Timing is everything!  

I also had a large business client who was going through a tough IRS audit.  While most IRS auditors I worked with were pretty reasonable, the agent on this case was very difficult.  Wanting to hopefully resolve a few issues with him, the client and I met with him one day right after he had gotten back from the eye doctor – and he was wearing sunglasses because his pupils were dilated.  Having recently watched some poker tournaments on TV, I semi-jokingly told him it wasn’t fair that he was wearing sunglasses during a negotiation.

After failing to come to an agreement, we requested a meeting with him and his case manager to hopefully resolve our issues.  Upon entering the meeting a few days later, the client team and I were all wearing sunglasses.  The IRS case manager was very amused by this, setting the tone to finally get the issues on the audit resolved.

Favorite memory or story from your time at GJM?

Steve: While there are many, my favorite memory is from our involvement with Flag City Honor Flight.  The night we raised over $125,000 we were all in shock.  Going to Washington DC as a guardian on one of the flights was also a memory I will never forget – and is something I would encourage everyone to do.

What are your plans in retirement?

Steve: Getting in shape; learning to play the guitar; hiking a few times a week in Oak Openings with my two dogs (they keep me walking at a brisk pace); XC-skiing; fly-fishing; learning woodworking from my dad and helping him on the family farm; more time with Diane, (which she may regret) kids and grandkids; getting more active on a few boards; travel; and many more fun adventures that I don’t even know about yet.

Do you have any travel scheduled?

Steve: Yes.  XC-skiing trip in January, visit cousins in Lake Tahoe in February, finally getting to go to Detroit Tigers spring training in Lakeland Florida in March, a trip to hike in the Scottish Highlands this summer, and other trips with kids/grandkids that we haven’t quite finished scheduling yet.

Are you totally disconnecting from GJM or will you be around for client issues, etc.?

Steve: While I don’t want to interfere with other people at GJM developing their own relationships with clients I worked with in the past, I will still be in the Toledo area and will be available as needed.  I want to make sure there is a smooth transition and want to also make sure our clients are being properly served.  I’m sure I could add historical perspective that may be helpful in some situations.   

Will you still stay involved in some GJM events, like the Big Brothers Big Sisters Holiday Party and Flag City Honor Flight?

Steve: If I am not traveling, I would certainly be available to help with the many great causes GJM has supported over the years.

There’s been a lot of change in the accounting industry during your time in the field.  Do you have any advice you’d give to young people pursuing the field now?

Steve: Every industry is constantly changing.  I think the best advice for any young person is pretty easy:  Work hard, communicate, get involved in your community, and show your clients, your family and the people that work with you that you appreciate and care about them.

Anything else you’d like to add?

Steve: As I mentioned before, I know I will miss the constant interactions with clients and the people at GJM.  Those people become part of your family.  I am not leaving the Toledo area.  Now that I will have the time, hopefully people will still occasionally call me for breakfast, lunch, dinner, fishing, etc.  I know Diane will appreciate them getting me out of the house and out of her hair for a while!

Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers cloud-based accounting and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory, healthcare management and outsourced accounting. The Firm’s professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities.  

Your Kids & Money

teaching kids about moneyAre you setting your kids up for financial trouble? Experts say if you’re not talking to them about money, you certainly aren’t helping…  So, how can we teach our children to be responsible with money?

Gilmore Jasion Mahler CPA Charlie Heid recently shared some ideas during his monthly appearance on WTOL.

So how young is too young to start talking to your kids about money, and what are some good ideas for parents? Charlie says in his opinion, the earlier you can teach them, the better. Some research has shown that kids as early as 5 to 7 years old understand the concept of money and are already forming the money habits that will stay with them into adulthood.

Show your children what saving looks like

There’s plenty that you can do as parents to instill good habits. Start with showing your kids what saving money looks like. Financial expert Dave Ramsey suggests that you use a clear jar to teach your kids about saving. They can see with their own eyes as the jar fills up… and if they spend money, they see the jar empty out. A piggy bank doesn’t allow them to actually see the money collecting in there.

Set an example

Charlie's next suggestion: Be aware of your own behavior. What are your personal spending habits? Your kids are watching you. If you’re charging on a credit card or impulse buying at every turn, your children are noticing. If you set a healthy financial example, your children will pick up on that too.

Rethink the “allowance”

Charlie challenged parents to get rid of the concept of allowance, or at least rethink it. Instead, he said, have your kids earn money for doing chores around the house. It will help them to understand that money isn’t just handed to us, we have to earn it.

Charlie Heid WTOL kids and moneyHere are Charlie’s other suggestions he shared on the air:

Challenge your kids to wait to buy something: Some experts recommend the one-day rule. If your child really wants to buy something… ask them to wait at least one day to think about it and weigh the decision, it gives them a chance to really think it through, and to avoid the impulse buy.

Instill the value of giving back. Let your child pick a charity the family can support. It will help them understand the value of doing good for others.

Grocery shopping as a lesson in money: Before you go to the store establish a budget, search together for coupons and make a grocery list. Only buy what’s on the list. Help them to understand that you can’t buy things just because you want them… For example, if they want 2 packages of cookies, explain that you don’t need both, so they can choose one or the other.

For teenagers, here are some thoughts:

  • It’s a good time to open their first bank account. This is a good opportunity to have them track their money, deposit birthday and holiday money. If it’s an interest-bearing account, they can see their money grow.
  • Educate them about credit – they need to understand that borrowing on credit involves interest.
  • Be open about household financials. If you’re comfortable sharing with the kids how money comes in, what bills it pays, etc. they’ll have a better understanding. Even if you make a poor financial decision, sharing the consequences openly with your children will help them learn from your mistakes. If you’re not comfortable talking real numbers, you could just convey using percentages: we spend 20 percent of our income on food, 10 percent in charitable donations, etc.
  • Let them stumble. If your child wants to spend all their saved-up birthday money on something and you think it’s a bad idea, consider letting them go ahead with the purchase and see the consequences of the decision. And don’t step in and replace the money for them, so they can learn from the mistake.  

CPA Charlie Heid is a partner specializing in tax services, who joined Gilmore Jasion Mahler in 2002. He serves clients across many industries, with a focus on manufacturing & distribution. Charlie appears monthly on WTOL-TV to discuss tax and money issues.

Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers cloud-based accounting and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory, healthcare management and outsourced accounting. The Firm’s professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities.

Three Ways to Lower Your 2018 Taxes

As you race to get all your shopping, wrapping and baking done in time for the holidays, you may want to set aside some time to think about your tax return. Some action now could wind up saving hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars when you go to file your tax return next spring. Gilmore Jasion Mahler Tax Partner Charlie Heid shared some suggestions on WTOL-11, including three ways to lower your taxes before the end of the year. 

#1: Bunch or bundle your charitable contributions

With the new higher standard deduction, which is now $12,000 for individuals and $24,000 for joint filers, smaller charitable donations will no longer get you that tax break that they used to. Many more people will now be taking the standard deduction, and itemizing their deductions won’t apply.

You don’t have to stop giving to charity, just change up your timing a bit. For example, rather than donating $15,000 a year, bump that up to $30,000, but do it every other year instead.

#2: Finalize the divorce

Another change that the new tax law brought will affect anyone going through a divorce right now.  

The big impact will be for the person who will be paying the alimony once the marriage is over.  

If you’re in the process of a divorce and still finalizing the agreement, be aware that December 31, 2018 is a critical deadline… if you finalize the divorce before the 31st any alimony paid can still be deducted, and alimony received is still considered taxable income. After December 31, that alimony paid will no longer be deductible, nor will it be taxable for the recipient of the alimony. So if you’re in the process of a divorce, and you’re the one who will pay alimony, you want to get it finalized before the end of the year.

#3: Feed the 401k

You can protect a good portion of your income from taxes by moving it into a 401k. You won’t pay tax on the money until it is withdrawn during your retirement. You’re allowed to contribute up to $18,500 to your 401k this year. If you’re over 50, you can contribute up to $24,500.

If you don’t have a 401k you can put the money into an IRA. The great news with the IRA is that you have up until April 15th of 2019 to move the money to that IRA and still have it count as a 2018 contribution.

One final thought: If you sold any investments this year and made money, you may be looking at paying capital gains tax… you could take a look at any of your holdings that show a loss and sell them to offset the gains. If you have more losses than gains, you might be able to deduct the difference, up to $3,000 per year.

Tax Partner Charlie Heid contributed this blog. He joined Gilmore Jasion Mahler in 2002 and brings decades of experience to his clients. Charlie serves individuals as well as business clients across many industries, including manufacturing & distribution, retail and construction. He shares timely information on tax and money issues monthly on WTOL's Your Day.

Established in 1996, Gilmore Jasion Mahler, LTD (GJM) is the largest public accounting firm in Northwest Ohio, with offices in Maumee and Findlay. Locally owned, GJM offers outsourced accounting services and provides comprehensive services including assurance, business advisory, tax, risk advisory and healthcare management. The Firm’s professionals specialize in industries including construction & real estate, healthcare, manufacturing & distribution and utilities

The “manufacturers’ deduction” isn’t just for manufacturers

The Section 199 deduction is intended to encourage domestic manufacturing. In fact, it’s often referred to as the “manufacturers’ deduction.” But this potentially valuable tax break can be used by many other types of businesses besides manufacturing companies.

Sec. 199 deduction 101

The Sec. 199 deduction, also called the “domestic production activities deduction,” is 9% of the lesser of qualified production activities income or taxable income. The deduction is also limited to 50% of W-2 wages paid by the taxpayer that are allocable to domestic production gross receipts.

Yes, the deduction is available to traditional manufacturers. But businesses engaged in activities such as construction, engineering, architecture, computer software production and agricultural processing also may be eligible.

The deduction isn’t allowed in determining net self-employment earnings and generally can’t reduce net income below zero. But it can be used against the alternative minimum tax.

How income is calculated

To determine a company’s Sec. 199 deduction, its qualified production activities income must be calculated. This is the amount of domestic production gross receipts (DPGR) exceeding the cost of goods sold and other expenses allocable to that DPGR. Most companies will need to allocate receipts between those that qualify as DPGR and those that don’t — unless less than 5% of receipts aren’t attributable to DPGR.

DPGR can come from a number of activities, including the construction of real property in the United States, as well as engineering or architectural services performed stateside to construct real property. It also can result from the lease, rental, licensing or sale of qualifying production property, such as:

  • Tangible personal property (for example, machinery and office equipment),
  • Computer software, and
  • Master copies of sound recordings.

The property must have been manufactured, produced, grown or extracted in whole or “significantly” within the United States. While each situation is assessed on its merits, the IRS has said that, if the labor and overhead incurred in the United States accounted for at least 20% of the total cost of goods sold, the activity typically qualifies.

Contact your tax advisor to learn whether this potentially powerful deduction could reduce your business’s tax liability when you file your 2016 return.

Learn more about GJM’s expertise in business advisory and tax.

© 2017

The investment interest expense deduction: Less beneficial than you might think

Investment interest — interest on debt used to buy assets held for investment, such as margin debt used to buy securities — generally is deductible for both regular tax and alternative minimum tax purposes. But special rules apply that can make this itemized deduction less beneficial than you might think.

Limits on the deduction

First, you can’t deduct interest you incurred to produce tax-exempt income. For example, if you borrow money to invest in municipal bonds, which are exempt from federal income tax, you can’t deduct the interest.

Second, and perhaps more significant, your investment interest deduction is limited to your net investment income, which, for the purposes of this deduction, generally includes taxable interest, nonqualified dividends and net short-term capital gains, reduced by other investment expenses. In other words, long-term capital gains and qualified dividends aren’t included.

However, any disallowed interest is carried forward. You can then deduct the disallowed interest in a later year if you have excess net investment income.

Changing the tax treatment

You may elect to treat net long-term capital gains or qualified dividends as investment income in order to deduct more of your investment interest. But if you do, that portion of the long-term capital gain or dividend will be taxed at ordinary-income rates.

If you’re wondering whether you can claim the investment interest expense deduction on your 2016 return, please contact your tax advisor. We can run the numbers to calculate your potential deduction or to determine whether you could benefit from treating gains or dividends differently to maximize your deduction.

Learn more about GJM’s tax expertise.

© 2017